Sunday, March 15, 2009

I'm heading to Africa!

Hello everyone out there is blogland. I created this blog in order to document my very first, but hopefully not my last, journey to Africa. I will be heading to Ethiopia and Uganda on June 20th and returning on July 4th. I can't even tell you how excited I am! Our primary goal while in Africa is orphan care. In the coming weeks I will know a lot more about the specific of what we will be doing. I'll share the itinerary with you when I get it. For know I know that we will be going to Addis Ababa, the capital of Ethiopia and working in 1 or more orphanages. In Uganda will be working with Katie from Amazima Ministries.  The organization that is setting up the trip is called Visiting Orphans

I met my team for the first time last Monday. It was such a joy! I love being with people who are passionate about sometime very important to me...orphan ministry. The Bible is so specific about the fact that Christians are called to take care of orphans. I have been involved with the Orphan Ministry at my church, Grace Chapel, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Years ago I went to Romania & China to work with orphans. It absolutely changed my life.

There are orphans all over the world, including right here in America. You may be wondering why I chose to go to Africa. I honestly don't have a very specific answer except that I know, without a doubt in my mind, that God has called me to go. It is not a very convenient time for me to be planning a trip to the other side of the world. We have had an extremely stressful year. We have been through job loss and are putting our house on the market on Tuesday and I am currently working about 3 part-time jobs in addition to planning my next consignment sale for my company Little Sprouts. God is so faithful though. He has provided our every need and I have learned to recognize what is really important. It has been a painful journey, but one I would not change. The lessons I have learned are more valuable than gold! After Nathan lost his job, he started his business back up. After a VERY slow winter season, his phone is starting to ring. Praise God! All that to say, in the midst of being mommy, working, and everything else going on, it is difficult to fit in fundraising, team meetings, planning, and all the intricacies that goes in to preparing for this trip. But I trust in One much great than me. It lifts a great weight off to know that I don't have to figure it all out. God has very clearly and specifically called me to go. I chose to be obedient, and I know He will work out all the details. And did I mention that I am SOOO excited?!

Please pray for me as I begin this journey.

Make sure to subscribe to my blog so you can get an update each time a write a new blog post.

6 comments:

  1. Mindy,

    I love that you're writing a blog about this trip, from start to finish. Just reading your very first entry has gotten me excited. When was it, six or seven years ago, that you went on your first overseas mission trip?

    Preparing for that trip, experiencing that trip, and coming home with that trip in your heart changed you forever. And you were just a kid. I can only begin to imagine what God will do with this one.

    I'm proud of you and will pray with you every step along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you Mindy! This blog is the best idea. You never know who you may inspire or how others will be affected by your experience. We will follow your journey and be with you in our hearts.
    Lisa & Joe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mindy
    I will be praying for you as you make God's journey. i will also subcribe to your blog so I can get the updates

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mindy! Love your blog.....I paypaled on Elle's account....so that's what it will show up as....can't wait for you to be blessing the fatherless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your kind comments. And thanks for being apart of this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saw your tweet tonight and popped over. I thought, "She's going to Uganda! That's where Katie Davis is!" and then saw that you are going there! WOW...Katie has touched our hearts in a special way...I am excited for all that God has waiting for you in Africa, and in the journey of fundraising as I trust He will provide all your needs!!

    ReplyDelete